Alexander Baptist Church was constituted on August 15, 1943, with 28 charter members. Rev. Merrell P. Callaway was called as Alexander’s first pastor in September, 1943. He resigned in January of 1945 to become a missionary to Syria.
Dr. T. W. Callaway became the interim pastor, serving until October of 1945. Dr. Callaway was asked to accept the position as the permanent pastor, but declined so that he could teach at a Preacher’s School in Kentucky.
In November of 1945, Rev. James Burke became the second pastor of Alexander. Rev. Burke resigned in November of 1946 to resume his studies at Bible School. Dr. T.W. Callaway very graciously consented to return and act as the supply pastor until the church could secure another pastor.
Rev. H.L. Tolbert was asked to serve as pastor. He accepted and became Alexander’s third pastor on March 1, 1947. Rev. Tolbert retired in 1975. In February of 1976, Rev. Ray O. Jones became the fourth pastor until Rev. Alan G. Moor was called in October of 1984. Rev. Moor, the fifth pastor, served until he retired on February 25, 1996.
Roscoe Musselwhite accepted the position as interim pastor in March of 1996 and served until May 25, 1997. On June 1, 1997 Dr. Archie Corbin was called as the sixth pastor. He resigned June 8, 2008. Rev. George Mullinax served as interim pastor until April 1, 2010.
The church members first met in the Moffett Elementary School building in 1943. In 1955, the members of Alexander Baptist moved into their new building at 3801 Turnpike Road in Portsmouth, Virginia. Over time, the building became inadequate for the expansion of the growing Sunday School and Worship services, so the congregation approved the purchase of the land adjoining the church.
Plans were formulated to enlarge the Sunday School facilities and to build a larger sanctuary. The new sanctuary was constructed, and on September 15, 1968, the first services were held in the new sanctuary. In June of 1988, a new Family Life Center went under construction and the former Fellowship Hall was converted to office suites. On September 9, 1989, the members of Alexander held a Sunday School Worker’s Appreciation Banquet as their first activity in the new facility.
The Family Life Center was used regularly thereafter for all Homecomings and other activities. The Family Life Center also held many ministry events such as neighborhood basketball outreach, housing the homeless, and an athletic ministry on a weekly basis.
In 2002, Alexander Baptist Church purchased 11.08 acres of land off Pamela Court in Chesapeake, Virginia. The Turnpike Road building was sold to another church family. While the members of Alexander waited for their new church building to be built, they partnered with the members of Bethany Baptist Church in Portsmouth, Virginia. Alexander and Bethany worshipped together for over two years until the members of Alexander moved into their new building at 4316 Pamela Court in June of 2006.
After serving for three months as interim pastor, Dr. Bryan J. Ray accepted the call to become the church’s seventh pastor on August 1, 2010. In less than three years, Sunday Morning Bible Study has doubled, worship attendance has more than tripled, and many new ministries have been launched. A building team has just begun praying and planning as this body of Christ stands poised for God’s preferred future for ABC. To God be the Glory!